|WHAT IS ink?
Indelible Ink is a Vanguard Performance Art Series that operates under the auspices of the Pasadena Arts Council’s EMERGE® program. Conceived by ink’s host, Monica Lee Copeland, the non-profit project delivers eight new shows on the third Tuesday of each month (except December, January, June and July) at Café Bizou in Old Pasadena.
WHAT ink DOES.
Indelible Ink showcases performance artists whose original work is avant garde: courageous, entertaining and thought-provoking. Whether its words, music, movement or a mélange of mediums, the artist communicates with one in such a way that your soul is indelibly marked. Café Bizou’s elegant décor and historic architecture provide an incredible back drop to the theatrical experience without a theater’s overhead. This means that ink can offer you extraordinary entertainment affordably and compensate our artists for their time and talent. With the spirit of inclusion, we select performers whose backgrounds and viewpoints reflect life in the Diaspora. ink rejoices in literature, art and the light it brings.
On the third Tuesday of each month (except December) Monica Lee Copeland lines-up five outstanding artists who make Café Bizou their stage. We encourage guests to arrive by 6:45pm. The show runs from 7:00 to 9:00pm with the segments detailed below. To discover which performers are headlining these segments in upcoming shows, check out our calendar.
HOW ink DOES IT
- Composed Calligraphy — intoxicating unorthodox sound with lyrics that warrant a read
- Ink Spot — a featured actor, comedian or poet selected by a participating Ink Spot venue
- Fine Resin — performers whose art is a mélange of mediums; in plain words, a variety act
- Deyo on Parchment — “Deyo” is the ancient Egyptian word for ink; essayists, journalists, novelists, playwrights, poets and storytellers who perform the words they put words on paper
- Testament — on stage interview of Deyo on Parchment and California Pigment features moderated by Monica with questions from the audience
- California Pigment — writers and performance artists currently dwelling in California, or those whose work and life experiences were greatly shaped by our great state
We produce these shows with YOUR help through financial and in-kind gifts, sponsorship programs and subscriptions. We receive the help of a talented working board, leadership team and cadre of volunteers who are devoted to the promotion of performance art.
HOW ink SEES THE FUTURE
Ink envisions a community that is thoroughly exposed to original, courageous and thought-provoking art that entertains. In addition to producing eleven new and outstanding shows each year, we see ink hosting an annual student show and competition, writing circles and workshops led by guest artists. We want to engage YOU in a conversation about performance art via our blog the ink link. And we have faith that in the not to distant future, you’ll hear and see performance artists carrying on at a Pasadena festival entirely devoted to our fancy and in an open commons area.
ink COST & LOCATION
There is an ink ticket charge of $15 (students $10 and kids < 5 are free). Our guests are expected to observe Café Bizou’s $12 food & beverage minimum. You can purchase tickets and subscriptions online. Subscription and prepaid ticket holders have preferential seating. Café Bizou is located at 91 N. Raymond Avenue, Pasadena, California 91103. For a map and additional location information, Contact Us.